Wallet concept is crowdsourced. Your feedbacks makes Wallet better.

Possibility to create own categories (parent/ sub-categories)

I would again pay for this app if I could create my own categories and sub-categories. It used to had this option, but a few month ago it was changed to fixed categories, and when I summarize my month it's quite exhausting to categorize my expenses in my own categories. Please consider putting this option back. It doesn't necessarily mean that you have to delete the fixed categories, rather just put an option into categories menu to be able to create your own categories, without any limitations.

373 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Tamás TövisTamás Tövis shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

37 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • YannisYannis commented  · 

Me too!
        Almost a year after and the developers have not taken any action...

• dennysdennys commented  · 

I'm done, I quit subscription. Have fun

• Stanislav PechaStanislav Pecha commented  · 

Something new about implementing this MUST-HAVE feature?

• Paul SticeaPaul Sticea commented  · 

I just canceled my subscription for Wallet, which was due for renewal this month. I tried a few apps and I ended up paying a subscription for CoinKeeper. It doesn't have as many features as Wallet, but I can create and manage my categories.

• Marko ŠošićMarko Šošić commented  · 

Great app, but without this I must use other one which is not so good but it has this basic feature. You must give the users option - banc sync or custom categories, so they can choose. Moreover, I think most of them would choose custom categories.

• Hugo LeonardoHugo Leonardo commented  · 

The excuse to not allow us to create our own categories or rename the main ones is because of the bank synchronization, but it DOESN'T WORK.

• Jakub BJakub B commented  · 

Bank synchronization is a bonus feature and not everybody needs it, but possibility to manage expense categories is fundamental one.

• krispamarthy@gmail.comkrispamarthy@gmail.com commented  · 

No excuse can justify this fixed categories list. Atleast we should be able to edit sub categories to our lifestyle. I have a number of instances where I feel the fixed list does not capture my need. For example in supporting my sister in education, but in financial expenses I can only log it under child support or others... I already have Child whose expenses go under this category... This is just screwing my budget and making me spend more time... Just because your developers didn't think through this!!

• Brittany HensonBrittany Henson commented  · 

sorry! not sure what to say. I want more than anything to eventually own and operate a small private business. I Java lived in the same little small town in Missouri since 2nd grade. In my 40+ years I have watched and been part of a vicious cycle of abuse, drugs, addiction and negligence. So many of our young mothers end up with no jobs, no money for rent, and top it off having to deal with abusive husbands. I am a survivor of domestic violence and I have a super inner strength to help others overcome such a hateful,horrible feeling of loss, not only of who we are as human beings, but the emotional tear down of our spirits. I have been on the receiving end of all the above and have also thanking God right now, lived through the horrible demon of drug addiction. Life lessons have taught me and brought me through. It takes time to heal a broken heart but it takes even more time to heal a broken spirit. I have always found it therapeutic to camp, hunt, fish and ride horses. I want nothing more than to help domestic violence SURVIVORS rebuild their inner beauty, strength and help them overcome such exhausting trials in their life. The safest place I could of ever, and even to present have been was "Back at Mommas"
        I do not have any money or a big fancy anything, keeping it real. But I have a heart

• Anonymous commented  · 

Come on, your stubbornness is like harakiri for this app. You've made mistake, get a grip and fix this, please!

• Asad HanifAsad Hanif commented  · 

I want this feature in my wallet.

• Zachary ReidZachary Reid commented  · 

Would love to see this added in the future. Additional icons are already there for adding subcatigories so why not use those for creating whole new catagories?

• Hugo LeonardoHugo Leonardo commented  · 

There is no way a fixed and a non editable category works for everyone. I HATE the way it is, my lifestyle is not the same as everyone else, my income and expense is not the same, it gets confusing for me to use the one developers thought it would be the best for me. It's a deal breaker, I'm looking for another app because the bank sync doesn't work at all, so, there's no point to keep this as I'm going to use manual entries all the time and I can't even chose what type of account is, all manual are set as general, so, credit card accounts are treated as general =/ WHY DON'T YOU LISTEN THE CONSUMERS?

• Paul SticeaPaul Sticea commented  · 

This app is useless for me now, with the categories not being editable anymore. Who thought this is a good idea? Why isn't this fixed after so many complains and after so much time? The default categories are not well made, not for me anyway. You can't have a one fits all solution. I payed a one year subscription a few months before the option to create my own categories was removed, and then you made the app unusable. Now I'm testing other budget trackers, and of course I won't renew my subscription.

• AL HIGHSMITHAL HIGHSMITH commented  · 

I thought this was my Quicken replacement, til I saw the strange categories.
        Any app that uses hard coded text as an identifier, is not well written. The actual numeric or guid ID field should be the ID. Not text.

Thats a junior level developer mistake. Experts have already learned from this mistake on the backend AND clients that always want options. Also means the QA team consists of developers, not normal end users. End users see lack of options. Developers want you to stay in your box and not break their app.

Not being able to delete, is not the problem. Its the fact that we cannot rename, create or disable base categories because you thought these were suitable for all robots around the world.
        Most humans want to use the custom categories of their previous software or simple those that they, not you, understand.

This is the place where Quicken and Mint win and why you're losing clients.

So, use your own app and see the 72% reduction in recurring funds on your Dashboard. All because of a basic custom category inability that even the worst financial, budgeting apps have.

• YannisYannis commented  · 

Seems that the developer is ignoring the numerous requests from the users regarding the creation/change and assignment of our own categories. I installed Wallet in January, but after using it for a short time, I abandoned it even though I have an active paid plan until 2018!

The fixed and hard coded categories may serve the connection of Wallet with a bank, but NOT all users can (or want) to connect to their online banking system and download their transactions. Furthermore, even if they connect to their online banking system, the automatic assignment of categories is rubbish... I was told by the developers that Wallet will go through a learning process, but personally I don't want Wallet to learn anything. I want it to do what I tell it to do!

So developers... Listen to your users and drop the fixed pre-assigned categories or engineer another way so that everyone can assign their own categories as they wish.

I'm gonna give you a couple of months time, but if not fixed, I will kiss you bye-bye as a customer!

• William NewtonWilliam Newton commented  · 

This Category problem is a deal breaker. The main Categories for just about anyone, would be Housing, Food, Health, Clothing, Transport, Work, Leisure, Finance (and perhaps Other). But your Categories, which we cannot change, split many key expenditures in such a way that the reporting is nonsense. For example, why is Healthcare in the same category as TV? Why is Chemist not grouped with a Healthcare category, rather than with Pets? Why is Home not grouped with Housing, rather than Shopping? And so on, and so on .... If I want to find out how much I spend on overall health care, and then prepare a budget, I can't. So the reports are of no use, as the Categories are a mess, and can't be changed. This is why I said that this problem is a deal breaker. It needs to be fixed, other wise it is back to my previous mobile app/desktop app.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base