Ability to add, move categories and subcategories
I'm very disappointed that I can't add categories and sub-categories with the premium version I just bought.
It would be important for you to consider this improvement as it is very critical not only for the data recovery from but also to comply with our realities.
- Create new categories and subcategories
- move subcategories between the main categories
Jesse Geiger commented
Overall app downers that fall short of basic expectations:
- Need ability to add new categories, not just edit existing names and add subcategories. "Other" is not useful. I want to use my list from the past 20 years. AI is not an excuse.
- where is data stored: your own servers or in my Google account? What happens when your company goes offline?
- add ability to sync to Google/Dropbox/OneDrive
- mobile/web app not same: web shows Templates, app shows Scheduled Transactions. Item created in each doesn't show in other.
- need abillity to modify "Payment Type" list. Direct Deposit is not an option for paychecks, and "cash" isn't the greatest. And should have a blank option.
- can't move a subcategory to a different parent
Taras Chyhryn commented
I agree, miss this a lot. If you could at least add subcategories under main categories, not the existing subcategories, it would be manageable. I switched to this app from zenmoney as I don't want to support Russian business, but some of the functionality is lacking. Also, what are you using machine learning for again? Is it sorting expenses with it if you have your bank synced? Because I don't use sync as my bank is not supported, so I need to manually enter stuff. You could lock the default categories for your machine learning and let me create categories or make the whole machine learning feature switchable.
Bong Ordaneza commented
Commenting here so as to "up" this suggestion.
I am a first time "potential" user of this app. I am currently using another budget app that is easy to use, with fully customizable accounts and categories. But the app that I am using is too simple, and doesn't suit the needs of my ever growing accounts: there is no "transfer" button, no "future payments", etc. All of these I can find in your app.
But one thing that prevents me from migrating to your app is the lack of customization for categories. I believe each of the users has its own way of categorizing things; as for me, I have multiple categories that doesn't necessarily fit to your templated categories.
So yeah... I am waiting for your feedback on this. Thank you!
Noted. Thank you. I can tell you, that right now, this is not actively being looked into and may take some time to even review as the categorisation is something that took a long time to configure and will take almost as long to reconfigure if it is being re-done. It is not on a list of priorities, but as I have stated, I will keep this open to be reviewed in the near future. Thank you.
Hmm... there were a lot of stories here where users ask for ability to add/remove/rearrange categories. Some of those had even more that 1000 votes!
One of my favourite ideas from comments was to:
- leave existing categories and to allow ML to use them for automatic categorisation,
- do not allow users to remove above categories (as it is now), however users could hide all sub-categories (categories will be hide as well that way)
- allow users to create a new categories, sub-categories, and sub-sub categories "on side". Those categories would not be used by Machine Learining.
I believe this is a fair compromise.
It would give us a choice - you may use ML, but you must use built-in categories OR you may create your own categories, but you will not be able to use ML.
And to be honest this is how I would like Wallet to work:
- my records are synced with banks,
- when a record appears in Wallet it has a category "Unknown" or "to be categorised manually".
- I can assigned record to maually created categories.
The category "Shopping" says me nothing. And which one of default categories should be used for services (photo, post and delivery, locksmith) or disposable packaging?
I know that some categories can't be touched (housing: mortgage, car: leasing, debts, whole category and all sub-categories under Incomes), because they are hardcoded in stats, but definitelly, we NEED more flexibility for categories of expenses.
Thank you for your feedback regarding this matter. I understand what you mean, although the matter is very complex as you'd understand. I will keep this status as "need more info" meaning we need to collect much more data on this to then start reviewing it. Thank you.
Hi @BudgetBakers_K (Support, WalletApp.net)
If you will take a look at a linked page you will find that people do not like your answer.
"1 out of 8 found this helpful".
I totally understad you want to have your Machine Learning caterogisation, but your categorisation does not suite users' visions and needs. And it does not work well. Many times my expenses were categorised as "alcohol, cigarets". How, if I do not drink and do not smoke?
I was forced to do not use a sync with bank accounts and to do everything manually. And I trully believe it is not only me.
I give gold against nuts that if you will allow to disable your ML and to create custom categories you will get a lot of new users.
Hello there, please check out this article that explains the reason why we will not introduce this as a feature: https://bit.ly/3wDIJSq - thank you for understanding.
Inas Soraya commented
totally agree n i think add this feature (move categories+subcategories) into free purchase too
It will probably never happen. If you would use a search here, you would find MANY threads about that.